Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Toning shoes and calorie burning

Skechers made new shoes called Shape-Ups and claimed that they toned muscles, improved posture, and burned fat, while reducing stress on knees and ankles. Unable to substantiate these claims, the company made a $40 million settlement with the Federal Trade Commission, under which customers who spent between $50 to $100 for these toning shoes can claim a refund. Independent researchers have found that toning shoes don't help to improve posture, burn calories or build muscle any better than basic sneakers. Last year Reebok made a $25 million settlement with the FTC over its toning shoes: the EasyTone. Under the settlement Reebok was barred from: making claims that toning shoes and other toning apparel are effective in strengthening muscles, making any health or fitness-related efficacy claims for toning shoes, misrepresenting any tests, studies, or research results regarding toning shoes and other toning apparel.


Miranda Kerr wears Reebok EasyTome shoes in the new 'Satisfaction' advertising campaign. Martina Jahrbacher, head of Reebok Women's Sport division, says that the company agreed to a settlement only to avoid a protracted legal battle and they now have an independent study to back their claims on calorie burning claims for toning shoes. According to AdAge, Reebok's independent study ran for 12 weeks, with women aged 22 to 39 wearing EasyTone shoes or regular flat sole sneakers. Both sets of women followed the same fitness program of supervised aerobic walking three times a week. The result was an average 2.5% reduction in body fat.

Miranda Kerr keeps in shape with yoga and a mostly organic diet, but as the new brand ambassador for the Reebok EasyTone collection, she is obliged to credit the toning shoes with body shaping benefits: "I love EasyTone! They look great and they're super comfortable. I love the results you get wearing them and that I can just throw them in my suitcase and have them with me all the time when I'm travelling. My life is so busy that I can't always make it to the gym but I love to walk as much as I can and I make EasyTone part of my fitness routine by wearing them when I'm walking." Whatever kind of shoes you wear, the only way of burning calories is to get moving!